APP Unidos (formerly Appalachian@s) received formal recognition in the Fall of 2017; however, its members have been active participants in events related to the Hispanic community for many years. In 2015, its members hosted the 4th NC Hispanic/Latino Faculty Forum, which brought faculty and staff from across the state to Boone, NC.
According to our Constitution, Article II, the mission and purpose of APP Unidos is to:
- To promote a sense of community, professional welfare and development among Hispanic/Latinx faculty, staff, and students.
- To address quality of life issues specific to Hispanic/Latinx faculty, staff, and students.
- To promote the development of leadership skills.
- To reinforce spoken languages of native speakers or faculty and staff seeking to improve their mastery of the Spanish and Portuguese languages.
- To encourage effective teaching practices.
- To become a community as a service resource of translators to assist familias latinas relocating to Watauga County.
- To stimulate a sense of social responsibility and improve communication.
- To promote scholarship and cooperative research among Hispanic/Latinx faculty, staff, and students.
To view the APP Unidos' founding constitution, see: Constitution and Bylaws, 4823-4191.
APP Unidos meets once a month, unless otherwise noted. These meetings typically feature updates of interest to the membership, food and fellowship, and organizational meetings/updates. More details on our monthly meeting agendas will be distributed via our social media outlets (FB, Twitter, Instagram). For current schedule of meetings, visit our Events Page or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.