APP Unidos (formerly Appalachian@s) received formal recognition in the Fall of 2017; however, its members have been active participants in events related to the Hispanic community for many years. In 2015, its members hosted the 4th NC Hispanic/Latino Faculty Forum, which brought faculty and staff from across the state to Boone, NC.
According to our Constitution, Article II, the mission and purpose of APP Unidos is to:
- To promote a sense of community, professional welfare and development among Hispanic/Latinx faculty, staff, and students.
- To address quality of life issues specific to Hispanic/Latinx faculty, staff, and students.
- To promote the development of leadership skills.
- To reinforce spoken languages of native speakers or faculty and staff seeking to improve their mastery of the Spanish and Portuguese languages.
- To encourage effective teaching practices.
- To become a community as a service resource of translators to assist familias latinas relocating to Watauga County.
- To stimulate a sense of social responsibility and improve communication.
- To promote scholarship and cooperative research among Hispanic/Latinx faculty, staff, and students.
To view the APP Unidos' founding constitution, see: Constitution and Bylaws, 4823-4191.
APP Unidos meets once a month -- the last Friday of each month, from 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM at the Roess Dining Hall (near or in the faculty dining room), unless otherwise noted. These meetings typically feature updates of interest to the membership, food and fellowship, and organizational meetings/updates. More details on our monthly meeting agendas will be distributed via our social media outlets (FB, Twitter, Instagram).